Can be due to various causes like Hyper flurosis, Enamel Hyperplasia, Acid attacks on enamel, morning white spots, white spots during or after orthodontia treatment.
White Spots due to Fluorosis:
- Excessive intake of fluoride from tooth paste or from drinking water leads to Hyper fluorosis.
- In normal drinking water fluoride level is I part per million (1 PPM).
- If fluoride level in drinking water is increased, it effects teeth, if teeth are in developing stage.
White Spots due to Enamel Hypoplasia
- It is a development defect
- Seen when there is hypo mineralization of enamel.
- Enamel is the hardest part of our body.
- Enamel is having 90% minerals
- Can effect primary (milk) teeth and permanent teeth.
- Seen as a defect in enamel, as missing tooth structure, pits, grooves, or small dent in tooth.
- Can be localized discoloration or entire tooth can turn as dark brown colour.
- Enamel hypoplasia can be a lifelong condition
- May require white filling or may be given crown, if condition is beyond, may need extraction.
White spots due to plaque bacteria
- More seen in children, due to plaque bacteria
- Which produce acid, which will damage the enamel, leading to white spots on enamel
- White spots is due to plaque bacteria attack leads to decalcification lead to white spots on teeth
- May be prevented by removing Plaque, food debris from tooth surface at least twice a day by brushing.
White spots seen when wake up in the morning
- This white spots goes away after few hours after wake up.
- Caused by sleeping with mouth open at night leads to dehydration of enamel surface of teeth.
- Goes away after brushing teeth.
White Spots - during Orthodontic treatment
- Due to too much fluoride to teeth
- Or may be due to build up of plaque and food particles around appliance
- Bacteria accumulate on the teeth and produce acid which will decalcify the enamel leading to white spots
- Removing the white spots is effective when “Tooth Mouse” used for 5 minutes, twice daily will help to widen the enamel rods and deposit calcium and phosphate will lead to remineralization of enamel and removal of the white spots.
- Tooth mouse can be applied to teeth directly with finger
- Tooth Mouse can be applied with a tray made of soft acrylic loaded with tooth mouse, which is fabricated for each patient.
- Available in different flavors like mint, strawberry, melon, Tutti fruity gives variety of choices for children.
- Good effect is seen for 12 weeks treatment.
- Best results are achieved while used at night time because salivary rate is less during sleep.
- Tooth mouse is used to prevent white spots which appear during and after orthodontic treatment.
- White spots can be less noticeable by using tooth whitening which will remove surrounding stain.