- It is a science in dentistry dealing with teeth and surrounding structures.
- Oral proflaxis (scaling) & Polishing to remove unwanted deposits like Plaque or Calculus
- Done twice a year or at least once in a year
- stops bad breath, bleeding or recession gums
- Scaling makes tooth stronger and healthier
Easy way for a healthy smile
- Use brush to clean front, back and biting surface of each tooth.
- Brushing is for 2 minutes, twice a day using fluoride tooth paste
- Hold the tooth brush at 450 angle against both gums and teeth by small gentle movement.
- Use inter dental brush, dental floss between teeth
- Flap surgery is a procedure done by a specialist periodontist under local anesthesia
- Periodontist reflect the gums of surrounding the teeth
- Cleans debris and deposits from root and between teeth
- If vertical bone loss cases, artificial bone for making teeth stronger and reduce mobility
Gum inflammation and Periodontitis
Healthy gums are pale, pink and firm without bleeding while your brush or clean between your teeth.
An inflamed gum tissue is showing redness and swelling and bleeds when you brush or clean between your teeth.
Sticky film bacterial plaque which forms on your teeth is not cleaned will lead to gum inflammation.
If Bacteria plaque is not removed, it grows in the gingival sulucus and to root surface which causes the supporting bone brakes down leading to bone loss leading to Periodontitis
How to prevent Periodontitis
- Doing oral hygiene by brushing, using dental floss, using inter dental brushes.
- Doing deep scaling and if there is Calculus deposits
- Gingival curettage to stop further damage
- Flap surgery if bone loss to make periodontal structure around teeth to be strong and healthy.